Browse Our Blogs
The latest and greatest from your favorite brewery Beer Dinners
Upcoming Flying Dog beer dinners, beer and food pairing tips, recipes, and more Cut The Leash
Musings from our semi-human CEO Jim Caruso
Browse Our Store
Sign Up For Our
Recipe: Orchard Ale Cupcakes
Adding our Brewhouse Rarities Orchard Ale, brewed with fresh apple juice from local Distillery Lane Ciderworks, to these quintessentially-fall cupcakes, enhances the flavor and, more importantly, gives you an excellent excuse to drink while you bake.
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 c. shredded apples (preferably Golden Delicious)
- 1 c. Orchard Ale
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Maple syrup and pecan pieces (for garnish)
- For the frosting:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time to make sure that they are well incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mixing well.
- Combine the vanilla extract and milk in a separate bowl. Then, very slowly, pour the mixture into the beer while the mixer is still blending.
- Place the apple shreds inside a clean kitchen towel and ring the juice into a cup. (Said juice can be discarded or drank. We recommend the latter.) Fold the shredded apples into the cupcake batter.
- Line two cupcake pans with cupcake papers and use an ice cream scoop to scoop batter in each paper.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Allow to cool before icing.
- For the frosting: Beat together cream cheese and butter until well mixed. Slowly add the powdered making sure it is well mixed and creates a thick and smooth frosting. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and mix until all ingredients are combined. Spread or pipe frosting onto your cupcakes. Drizzle with maple syrup and top off with pecan pieces (if desired).
← The Impact of a Pearl Necklace