Drink Beer. Restore the Bay.
Inside a hard, sometimes rough, exterior is a layer of soft tissue capable of producing gleaming white spheres desired around the world.
Our newest release, Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, is a tribute to the magical mollusks that not only cultivate gemstones, but are also crucial to the Chesapeake Bay’s fragile ecosystem.
Proceeds from Pearl Necklace, a dry stout brewed with local oysters, benefit the Oyster Recovery Project.
Why is oyster recovery so important?
- Disease, habitat loss, and overfishing have reduced the Chesapeake Bay’s oyster population to a mere 1% of its historical peak. That’s right, one percent!
- Oysters are filter feeders. They used to be able to filter the entire Bay in a matter of days; now, it takes years.
- A healthy oyster population provides a habitat for other (delicious) Bay creatures, like striped bass, perch, and blue crabs.
- Even oyster shells are a limited natural resource. They are a natural habitat for new oysters and essential for oyster hatcheries.
What can you do to help?
- Drink Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout!
- Make sure your favorite oyster bar or restaurant is participating in the ORP’s Shell Recycling Alliance.
- See how you can donate and get involved by visiting the Oyster Recovery Partnership’s website.
With it’s coalition of partners (including yours truly), the ORP has revitalized hundreds of acres of oyster reefs with hundreds of millions of baby oysters.
But there’s still a lot work to be done. To the loyal legions of The People’s Republic of Flying Dog, the time to act (and drink) is now!