Your Secret Stash has arrived. Our just-released Harvest Ale – made from locally-sourced hops, wheat, sweet corn, and potatoes – is hitting shelves next week.
To celebrate the fruits of this year’s harvest, we’re hosting release parties next week all around Maryland, DC, and Virginia.
Tuesday, September 20
- Lures Bar & Grille in Crownsville, MD at 6 pm
- The County Cork in Eldersburg, MD at 6 pm
Thursday, September 22
- Founding Farmers in Washington, DC at 5 pm
- Cafe Nola in Frederick, MD at 4 pm
- Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg, VA at 5 pm
Friday, September 23
- Beers and Cheers in Germantown, MD at 5:30 pm
What’s our friend Sipping Tom been up to all summer? Spreading the craft beer gospel through his educational and thorough beer reviews, of course. Take a look here:
We’re out to prove that while Snakeheads are vicious, they’re also de-licious.
To support the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ fight against invasive species in the Potomac River watershed, Flying Dog is the official beer of the 2011 Potomac Snakehead Tournament September 2-3.
Snakeheads have become an invasive species and cause ecological damage because they are top-level predators, meaning that they have no natural enemies outside of their native environment. National Geographic has referred to the Snakehead as “Fishzilla” because of its recent rampage on – otherwise stable – ecosystems.
The goal of the tournament is to utilize sport fishing to support to reduce the population of this invasive species, while also raising awareness for Snakeheads as a high quality, commercially viable food source until the population is under control.
“Snakeheads are definitely an underrated fish in the kitchen. It’s a flavorful fish that can be served in a number of different ways whether fried, seared, broiled, or baked,” Chad Wells, Executive Chef at Alewife Restaurant in Baltimore, told us.
Wells will prepare and present a Snakehead tasting complemented by our beer at the conclusion of the hunt on September 3 from 12:30 to 2:30 pm.
Official tournament events, including Wells’ tasting, will take place at Smallwood State Park in Marbury, Maryland. All participants are encouraged to attend the pre-tournament conference at the park September 2 at 5 pm. Guest speakers will include Joseph W. Love, Ph.D., Tidal Bass Manager for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources; and Joshua J. Newhard, Fisheries Biologist for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The 2011 Potomac Snakehead Tournament is open to anyone with a valid Maryland or Virginia fishing license. Participants can win cash and prizes for the heaviest fish and overall total weight. Participants can fish – hook and line or bow – beginning September 2, 2011 at 6 pm until September 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm anywhere on the tidal Potomac in Maryland or Virginia. Cost to enter is $40 online registration by September 1 or $50 day of the tournament.
A percentage of the tournament profits will be donated to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources to help fight invasive species in the Potomac River watershed. The tournament is presented by Whackfactor Outdoors, with sponsorship from ProFish, Alewife Baltimore, and yours truly.
For full details on the tournament and to register, visit the Whackfactor Outdoors website.
We’re taking the District by storm next week for DCBeer.com’s annual DC Beer Week.
Here’s this year’s bad ass Flying Dog lineup:
DC Craft Beer Cruise
- Sunday, August 14 from 6:30 to 9 pm
- The Odyssey at 600 Water Street SW
- “Oh shit. Get your towels ready. It’s about to go down.” We’re cruising down the Potomac ON A BOAT drinking craft beer.
- Get your tickets here
Tap and Bottle Takeover
- Monday, August 15 at 7 pm
- DC Bread and Brew at 1247 20th Street NW
- The staff of Flying Dog will taste our way through a variety of our beers and walk through some amazing food pairings from the Bread and Brew kitchen
Flights and Food
- Tuesday, August 16 at 6 pm
- Elephant and Castle at 1201 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
- If that title doesn’t catch your attention, we don’t know what will. Elephant and Castle will have flights of your favorite brews, along with small-plate food pairings.
Hole in One Contest
- Thursday, August 18 at 6 pm
- H Street Country Club at 1335 H Street NE
- Don your popped collars and goofy plaid pants for a night of games and pints. We’ll have some sweet prizes for our hole in one contest and drink specials for the winners (and losers).
Flying Dog Tasting
- Thursday, August 18 at 6:30 to 9 pm
- Chadwicks at 3205 K Street NW
- We’ll be giving out samples of our award-winning brews.
- Friday, August 19 at 6 pm
- Iron Horse Taproom at 507 7th Street NW
- We’ll have 6 extra-special beers on tap all night long.
Mid-Atlantic Brewery Night
- Saturday, August 20 at 5 pm
- Smith Commons at 1245 H Street NE
- Yours truly will be featured along the likes of Dogfish Head, Evolution, DC Brau, and more!
For a complete list of everything DC Beer Week has to offer, head on over to DCBeer.com.