Browse Our Blogs
The latest and greatest from your favorite brewery Beer Dinners
Upcoming Flying Dog beer dinners, beer and food pairing tips, recipes, and more Cut The Leash
Musings from our semi-human CEO Jim Caruso
Browse Our Store
Sign Up For Our
77 Years of Creative Genius
“Every time we receive label art from Ralph we’re like kids on Christmas morning, and the artwork for Raging Bitch was extra special to us because it was for a beer commemorating Flying Dog’s 20th anniversary. We absolutely loved it from the moment we saw it.”
Our CEO Jim Caruso offered these sentiments in the foreword of a recently published 160-page catalog of Ralph Steadman’s work, including the original art for Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA. Presented by the London Cartoon Museum, STEADman @ 77 is a retrospective of Ralph’s work over the past 50 years and a present day celebration of his wild creativity.
We are honored and forever grateful that Ralph has left his indelible mark on our labels for the past 19 years.
“He is not only an artist, but also a principled genius and possibly the one TRUE artist in the world. Thank you, Ralph, for making a noticeable dent in the universe. And for your friendship.”
Jim Caruso and all of us at Flying Dog
We’re partnering with the Frederick Keys for the second straight summer to present a three-part movie series taking place at Harry Grove Stadium. Beginning Friday, June 7, the video board at the ballpark will show one movie per month for our “Left Field Movie Nights.” All three screenings will feature classic films and have a family-friendly, PG rating.
Taking place on the first Friday of June, July, and August, the Left Field Movie Nights will give fans the opportunity to access the outfield and enjoy the unique experience of watching a movie on the Keys’ videoboard. Admission is $5 dollars per adult and $3 per child (12 and under) when purchased in advance, and $7 per adult and $5 per child at the door. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling the Frederick Keys Box Office at 301-815-9939 or online at http://www.frederickkeys.com.
Multiple styles of our beer will be sold throughout the evening and a variety of concession stand offerings will also be available for purchase. Gates open at 7 p.m. and the movie begins at 8 p.m. During this pre-show hour, fans are invited to bring their gloves for a game of catch in the outfield and enjoy free access to the Kids Fun Zone.
Flying Dog and the Keys developed this local partnership to provide a unique experience at the ballpark by combining great movies and great beer brewed right here in Frederick.
The movies being featured will be:
- June 7th – E. T.
- July 5th – Field of Dreams
- August 2nd – Honey I Shrunk the Kids
No outside food or beverage will be permitted. Blankets are welcome and fans may watch from the seating bowl or outfield grass. No lawn chairs will be allowed.
Join the allegiance of craft beer enthusiasts for the week-long celebration of local beers in our backyard of Frederick, MD.
You can find us showboating all week long at the following locations:
Saturday, May 11
- A family friendly beer festival featuring live music, food, crafts, and a selection of beers from your favorite Maryland brewers including Flying Dog, Barley and Hops, Brewer’s Alley, Frey’s Brewing Company, The Milkhouse Brewery, Monocacy Brewing Company, DuClaw, Heavy Seas, Evolution, Pub Dog & Ruhlman
- Stillpoint Farm (in Mt. Airy, MD)
- Noon to 6 pm
- $20 for adults (21+)
- $15 for designated drivers and individuals 13-20.
- Free – Children 12 and under
- Ticket price includes a tasting glass and six tokens. Additional tokens available for purchase
- Buy Tickets
Tuesday, May 14
- Be the first to try our latest Brewhouse Rarity Easy and chat with the brewers behind the beer.
- At the brewery (Frederick, MD)
- 5 to 8 pm
- $5 admission (21+)
- Includes a sample of Easy IPA along with 5 others of your choice.
Wednesday, May 15
- Flying Dog beer paired with a selection of gourmet hot dogs
- Roasthouse Pub (Frederick, MD)
- 5-8 pm
- Admission is free, pay as you go for pints and pairings
Thursday, May 16
- A craft beer-focused hunt through downtown Frederick for teams of 3 to 5 people with an after-party at Brewer’s Alley
- Flying Dog Brewery, then various locations downtown (Frederick, MD)
- 5 pm registration – 8:30 pm after-party
- Registration is $30 per team
- Buy Tickets
- Brewmaster Matt Brophy will tap a firkin of Double Dog Double IPA
- Madrone’s (Frederick, MD)
- 5 pm – Close
- Admission is free, pay as you go for pints
Friday, May 17
- 10 beers on tap from local Frederick breweries featuring Flying Dog, Brewer’s Alley, Barley and Hops, Frey’s Brewing and Monocacy Brewing
- JoJo’s Restaurant and Taphouse (Frederick, MD)
- 6 pm – Close
Saturday, May 18
- A festival solely featuring craft beer from the great state of Maryland
- Carroll Creek (Frederick, MD)
- 1 pm to 6 pm (VIP Hour from Noon – 1 pm)
- $20 in advance ($30 at the door)
- Ticket price includes a tasting glass and six tokens. Additional tokens available for purchase.
- Buy Tickets
For a complete line up of the entire week, visit http://frederickbeer.com
On Saturday, May 25 of Montreal will be taking our stage by storm. Literally. Their concerts are theatrical and unpredictable with more costume changes than an Oscars host, synchronized dancing that would put Madonna’s saggy ass to shame, and lighting effects sure to invoke seizures. (Check out their last DC-area show at 9:30 Club.)
To prepare you for the show, here’s the quick and dirty on the band:
- Everyone loves a good Canadian success story, but these guys aren’t neighbors from the Great White North. They’re actually from Athens, Georgia.
- The name of Montreal came from a failed romance between band frontman Kevin Barnes and, you guessed it, a lady from Montreal.
- Their style is eclectic and has been known to change from album to album. It can best be summed up as euphoric indie pop. They’re also known for combining narrative, often serious, lyrics with upbeat melodies and sing-along choruses.
- Their show at the brewery is on the last leg of their Summer Tour. From here, they have a show in Honolulu and are then off to Tokyo.
- They announced last week that they’re coming out with a new album — Lousy with Sylvianbriar — this fall.
Citra is one of the most exclusive and in-demand hop varietals in the United States. We love it for its strong citrus and tropical fruit flavors, which come screaming through the light malt backbone of this Imperial IPA.
Now, with our Stove Topper homebrew kits, you can be in awe of the access to the excess.
- Availability: On sale through May 31
- Price: $55
- To purchase: Visit our brewery gift shop or The Flying Barrel Homebrew Shop, both in Frederick, Maryland
“As far as men go, it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can grill.” – Jean-Paul Sarte
Back by popular demand is BYOG, a bring-your-own-grill BBQ’ing class led by grilling legend Chris Carter. The class will show 25 lucky individuals how to grill on the equipment you already own and will teach you the differences from grilling to smoking, direct and indirect cooking, different types of wood and charcoal, cooking times, and tricks the pros use.
- A full rack of ribs, whole chicken, and other grilling meats
- Flying Dog beer samples
- A BBQ cooking guide, including recipes, tips, and more
- A special lunch cooked by the pro himself
- Students need to bring their own grill: It can be gas or charcoal. Anything from a deluxe monster gas grill to a Weber and a bag of charcoal is welcome.
- You are more than welcome to share a grill if you have a friend or neighbor coming with you, BUT your grilling partner will still have to buy his or her own ticket, or you can purchase a couples ticket. (It is legal in Maryland now.)
- All attendees are also encouraged to bring charcoal, wood chips, special sauces, or any other elements they’d like to perfect in the class.
“Ralph is an icon, his topical, political renderings iconic, his mad jargon a paragon of artistic brilliance. And through the illustrated musings of his life and times, Ralph’s bird will perpetually soar in the minds of those that follow, carrying the torch he once collected from all the dissidents that spewed their creative venom before him. Here is a man and artist of superior caliber.”
– Johnny Depp on Ralph Steadman
To celebrate the genius and multifarious career of Ralph Steadman (and his 77th birthday!), the London Cartoon Museum is mounting a retrospective of his work over the last 50 years.
STEADman @ 77 will feature over 100 original artworks, including the original art for our Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA.
The exhibition, sponsored by Flying Dog, is accompanied by a 160-page catalogue of his works with contributions by Johnny Depp, Will Self, and Guardian cartoonist Martin Rowson, along with a foreword written by our CEO Jim Caruso.
For more information, visit The Cartoon Museum’s website.
Armed with the insatiable urge to spread the Gospel of Gonzo and Good Beer, Ben will guide you on your journey through the inaugural Annapolis Beer Week April 20-27.
So you come into this with palate prepared, here’s a look at the events he has lined up:
A 5K and 1-mile fun run followed by craft beer and a sense of accomplishment.
- Saturday, April 20
- Annapolis County Fairgrounds
The name says it all. Live music and local craft beer starting at noon.
- Sunday, April 21
- Stan & Joe’s Saloon
Not St. Paddy’s Day leftovers, but a focus on sustainability over happy hour.
- Monday, April 22
- The Rockfish
Get up close and (after a few beers) very personal with our brewmaster, Matt Brophy
- Wednesday, April 24
- Stan & Joe’s Saloon
We call it a crawl, but walking is much more efficient.
- Thursday, April 25
- Downtown Annapolis (check the link for specific locations)
Our hop monster just got real.
- Thursday, April 25
- McGarvey’s Saloon and Oyster Bar
What is in a name? This one speaks the truth.
- Saturday, April 27
- Maryland National Guard Armory
Due to popular demand, tickets for Summer Sessions, our outdoor concert series at the brewery, are on sale now through FlyingDogTix.com.
- of Montreal (with Us and Us Only) on Saturday, May 25
- Deer Tick (with Old Indian) on Saturday, June 15
- 5th annual GONZOFEST featuring The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion on Saturday, July 20
The fine print: Only those 21 and older can attend events at the brewery. All beer will be sold a la carte at each event.