For 75 years, OLD BAY has been a staple on newspaper-covered tables piled high with steaming shrimp, corn, and Maryland Blue Crabs. To commemorate this milestone anniversary, we released Dead Rise OLD BAY Summer Ale, a beer that has quickly earned its spot right alongside that iconic yellow, blue, and red tin.
Discover the True Flavor of the Chesapeake with The Dead Rise OLD BAY Cookbook.
We asked 17 of the area’s most cutting-edge chefs to develop recipes that showcase the unique aspects of the Chesapeake Bay that continue to inspire them. The only requirement was showcasing the seasoning we all know and love:
- Chesapeake Bloody Mary | Chef Scott Drewno
- OLD BAY Falafel with Crab Yogurt | Chef Mike Isabella
- Beer! Cheese! | Chef Spike Gjerde
- Northern Neck Gumbo with Choptank Oysters | Chef Todd Gray
- Grilled Oysters with Peaches and OLD BAY Butter | Chef Barton Seaver (pictured above)
- Maryland Crab Dip | Chef Rob Klink
- Belgian IPA Bay Mussels | Chef Chris Clime (pictured above)
- Crab Mac and Cheese | Chef Chad Wells
- OLD BAY Mustard BBQ Fish Collars | Chef Kyle Bailey
- OLD BAY Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese Fondue | Chef Chad Gauss
- Grilled Lamb Merguez Skewers with Harissa Aioli | Chef Zachary Mills
- Chesapoutine | Chef Jeff Eng
- OLD BAY Caesar Salad | Chef Matt Baker
- OLD BAY Fries with Creole Mustard | Chef John Critchley
- Maryland Crab Cake Sandwiches | Chef Bryan Voltaggio
- Maryland Blue Catfish Tacos | Chef Keith Long
- Gertie’s OLD BAY Peanut Brittle Ice Cream | Chef Doug Wetzel
100% of the proceeds from the cookbook will benefit True Blue, a program that advocates on behalf of the Chesapeake Bay’s 5,500 watermen and promotes sustainably harvested Maryland Blue Crab.
This beer has no soul.
Now that that’s out of our system, let’s get down and dirty with Ginger Beer, the redheaded stepchild that is our latest Brewhouse Rarities release.
Ginger Beer was the brainchild of (you guessed it) two resident gingers: Steve Brockwell, a brewer, and Torie Sullivan, a tour guide. They were inspired by organic ginger sodas and aimed to make an adult version by crafting a Belgian-style table beer. Along with fresh ginger pulp, orange peel was added to the beer to play off of the Belgian yeast strain used in primary fermentation and the Japanese Sake yeast used to finish. To make it perfect for the summer months that lie ahead, Ginger Beer is effervescent, refreshing, and snappy.
Here are specifics:
- 6.6% ABV
- 25 IBU
- Specialty malts: Imported Pilsner, Malted White Wheat, Light Caramel
- Hops: Perle, Cascade
- Yeast: Belgian Bastogne and Japanese Sake
- Special ingredients: Fresh ginger pulp and orange peel
Following our tap room release, Ginger Beer will launch in Frederick this Thursday, May 15 at NOLA Cafe.
Want to track it down? Use our Beer Finder to see if Ginger Beer will be on tap near you.
When our Gonzo label artist Ralph Steadman first tried Raging Bitch, he described it as “nectar imprisoned in a bottle.”
Now, it’s time for you to brew your own sweet, sweet nectar with our Stove Topper kit for Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA. Stove Toppers are a series of all-grain homebrew kits for advanced home brewers. The recipes and ingredients are straight from our brewhouse and scaled down to fir your home brewery.
Our Raging Bitch kits are $45 and will be on sale at the brewery and The Flying Barrel Homebrew Shop until June 30. At this time, we are not able to ship kits.
And please note:
- Ideally, you will need a mash tun with a 12.5-gallon capacity and brew kettle with a 7.5-gallon capacity. Smaller vessels can be used, but the recipe will need to be halved and combined.
- Two vials of yeast are included at no extra charge. They will be packaged on ice and must be refrigerated until use. Due to the sensitive nature of yeast, viability is not guaranteed.